Make use of any leftover tomatoes by making these nutritious, tasty little probiotic bombs! Exploding in with intense flavour, they’re packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, probiotics, vitamins A, B, C, E, K, molybdenum, potassium, copper, manganese… Everything your body needs to stay fit and healthy! This quick, easy and best fermented tomatoes recipe will make sure you’ll never see any tomatoes go to waste ever again!
1. Wash your ingredients, peel the garlic and remove the stems from the tomatoes.
2. Make a brine with the salt and a pint full of water
3. Slice the garlic into thin strips.
4. With a toothpick, poke 3 holes in each tomato and set aside.
5. Add the ingredients into your pickling jar by layering one on top of the other.
6. Pour in the brine and make sure tomatoes are completely covered.
7. Either use a smaller jar (i.e. little mustard jar) to weigh down the tomatoes and make sure they’re covered in brine. Then cover with a cloth and a hairband. Or just loosely cover with a lid (make sure it’s not air tight so the mixture can breathe) and every few days push the tomatoes down to make sure they stay submerged in the brine.
8. Leave to ferment for 7+ day’s. I like to leave them for about 10-14 so they get really infused with all the probiotics and flavour. For a good sign of fermentation check for bubbles near the top and a cloudiness beginning to form in the brine. If you don’t see these signs check to make sure your brine is salty enough.
9. When it reaches the flavour you desire cover with a lid and consume at your own pace. When you begin to run low, just chuck in some more tomatoes and brine and let them do their thing again! The more times you repeat the process the more flavoursome your brine will become!
Best Fermented Cucumber Recipe Different from your regular quick pickled gherkins! These little bad boys pack a punch as well as a healthy dose of probiotics! Hands down my favourite and best fermented cucumber recipe….
Best Fermented Mushroom Recipe A must try for any fungi lover! I have pickled and fermented quite a few batches of mushrooms and this, by far, has been my favourite and best fermented mushroom recipe! These…
Quick and easy fermented peppers recipe If you’re looking for a little something extra from your pepper, try out this quick and easy fermented peppers recipe! Using a simple brine mixture, and a bit of…
The Best Sauerkraut Recipe! Sauerkraut, traditionally, is a finely-sliced cabbage dish made using a process called lactic acid fermentation. This uses the beneficial bacteria (lactobacillus) present on the surface of the cabbage. When submerged in…
The Best Kefir Recipe This humble super-drink has been around for centuries but only now finding prominence in western culture. It is packed with probiotics, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B12, biotin, folate, riboflavin, and vitamin K2….