This best fermented beetroot recipe is any beet lovers delight! With the beetroot being so readily available we’ve almost come to underestimate what an absolute superfood this delicious humble little root vegetable actually is!
It’s packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, detoxifiers, fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, vitamins C and B6! New studies show it can even help with lower blood pressure, boost exercise performance and prevent dementia! Using this quick and easy method we are even able to add in a healthy dose of probiotics into the equation.
So even if you are yet to be convinced, I guarantee this best fermented beetroot recipe will turn you from a sceptic to a beet believer!
1. Mix the salt, peppercorns and water in a measuring jug to make a brine.
2. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
3. Wash the beetroot and scrub the skins with a sponge. Leave the skin on for extra fiber! Cut into thin slices. (The thinner they are the easier they will ferment)
4. Add half of the garlic and cloves to the pickling jar.
5. Add half of the beetroots and the remaining garlic and cloves. Then stuff in the rest of the beets.
6. Check that the salt has fully dissolved in the water. Pour into the pickling jar about a fingertip away from the top, making sure to cover the beetroots.
7. Now add the weight to weigh down the beets and make sure they stay submerged in the brine. I used a smaller jar I found in the cupboard.
8. Cover with a cotton cloth and rubber band. (This is to prevent any bacteria/dust settling on top of the brine and growing mould)
9. Put away out of reach of sunlight for about 14 days. For signs of fermentation look for bubbles beginning to form near the top of the surface.
10. When done, the beetroots should have a delicious salty/garlicy taste and still retain a crunch. Once you are happy with the level of fermentation seal the jar with an air tight lid and eat at your convenience!
For more on the health benefits of probiotics and a recipe for Kombucha check out my other page here!
Best Fermented Mushroom Recipe A must try for any fungi lover! I have pickled and fermented quite a few batches of mushrooms and this, by far, has been my favourite and best fermented mushroom recipe! These…
Kombucha Tea – An Immune Boosting, Fermented Super Tea What is Kombucha Tea? Kombucha is a fermented, usually slightly fizzy, tea drink that is great for your gut health, immune system and libido (sex drive!)….
The Best Fermented Carrot Recipe Looking for a way to boost the humble carrot? Infuse it with some salty, sour and spicy flavours as well as healthy probiotics with this delicious and best fermented carrot…
Quick Pickles – An alternative way to enjoy your favourite fruit and veg Infuse some of your favourite fresh veggies and/or fruits with a healthy dose of salt, sugar, spices, water and vinegar to produce quick,…
The Best Sauerkraut Recipe! Sauerkraut, traditionally, is a finely-sliced cabbage dish made using a process called lactic acid fermentation. This uses the beneficial bacteria (lactobacillus) present on the surface of the cabbage. When submerged in…